Fats can be very powerful for the body. More and more people are starting to realize the importance of incorporating healthy fats into their diet. Not all saturated fats are bad. There are many benefits of eating the right saturated fats, such as MCT oil.
MCT oil is a medium-chain triglyceride. Its fatty acids have a shorter chain length, which means that it is more quickly absorbed by the body. One source of medium-chain triglycerides is coconut oil. Coconut oil is made up of about 65% MCT oil. Often times, instead of consuming coconut oil to increase their intake, people will use pure MCT oil- which can easily be extracted.
Benefits of MCT Oil
- Instant Energy– Due to its ability to be broken down and absorbed by the body rather quickly, MCT oil provides an instant energy kick.
- Brain Health– A good percentage of your brain is made up of fatty acids. In order to keep your brain running properly and stay sharp as you age, it’s a good idea to include healthy fats into your diet. Medium-chain triglycerides are believed to be one of the best.
- Hormone Balance– Fats play an important role in the production and balance of hormones. MCT oil is shown to support healthy hormone levels in the body.
- Heart Protection– Research has shown that MCT oil can help prevent metabolic syndrome. By preventing metabolic syndrome, people are less likely to become obese and therefore have a decreased risk for developing cardiovascular disease.
- Digestion– MCT oil can serve multiple purposes in the digestive system. One, it is great at balancing bacteria in the gut. Two, it allows fat-soluble nutrients to be absorbed and utilized by the body.
- Weight Loss– MCTs are believed to assist the body in producing ketones. When your body is in a state of ketosis, it means that it is running off fats for fuel. Instead of running off glucose stores for energy, your body burns fat.
How Do I Start Using MCT Oil?
There are many different ways you can start using MCT oil. One of Emily Schromm’s favorite ways is to add it to coffee, smoothies, and tea. However, if your body isn’t used to MCT oil be sure to use sparingly- too much can shock your digestive system. Start with adding a teaspoon and see how your body feels. From there you can work on increasing your intake.
You may also like: